Re: [ga] To: ga@dnso.org

Danny,
I'm all for dialog (or dialouge) but I find it curious that you are
engaging Joe re: board openness. I admit that sometimes the flurry of
activity  gets a bit too much and I miss some announcements but as far
as I know, Joe Sims is not a board member. So would not these questions
be better focused  by directing them to the actual sitting board
members?

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Dear Joe,
>
> I am reminded of the letter sent by J. Beckwith Burr (US DoC) to Esther Dyson
> and Mike Roberts (ICANN) on July 8, 1999 in which the comment was made:  "The
> final step of opening the Board Meetings is critical to establishing trust in
> ICANN."
>
> You are correct in stating that this is hardly a new subject, and most of us
> can understand the need for executive sessions when personnel or legal
> matters are at issue... in this instance, however, we all would have
> benefited from a better understanding of the viewpoints on reform currently
> held by our directors.
>
> I have appreciated the comments made by Linda Wilson that were posted to the
> Reform Committee's website.  I see value in the comments made by Alejandro
> Pisanty on the Non-Commercial list, and I am delighted that Vint Cerf will
> occasionally choose to post his thoughts to the GA list.  This type of
> openness makes it possible for us to better communicate with our directors.
>
> Is it supposed to be a secret that Stuart, Vint, Hans, Rob, and Helmut have
> adopted the "no direct at-large-elections under no circumstances whatsoever"
> position (as reported by Andy)?  Surely we should have the benefit of knowing
> what our directors think so that we may encourage them to modify or retain
> their current positions...  Openness and transparency are all about
> "communication".  A communicative Board can engender trust, and trust is the
> real issue.
>
> I find it sad that you have to go out of your way to defend closed meetings.
> Perhaps you too, have too much time on your hands.
>
> Best wishes,
> Danny Younger

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology