Re: [ga] To: ga@dnso.org

Dear Joe,

I am reminded of the letter sent by J. Beckwith Burr (US DoC) to Esther Dyson
and Mike Roberts (ICANN) on July 8, 1999 in which the comment was made:  "The
final step of opening the Board Meetings is critical to establishing trust in
ICANN."

You are correct in stating that this is hardly a new subject, and most of us
can understand the need for executive sessions when personnel or legal
matters are at issue... in this instance, however, we all would have
benefited from a better understanding of the viewpoints on reform currently
held by our directors.

I have appreciated the comments made by Linda Wilson that were posted to the
Reform Committee's website.  I see value in the comments made by Alejandro
Pisanty on the Non-Commercial list, and I am delighted that Vint Cerf will
occasionally choose to post his thoughts to the GA list.  This type of
openness makes it possible for us to better communicate with our directors.

Is it supposed to be a secret that Stuart, Vint, Hans, Rob, and Helmut have
adopted the "no direct at-large-elections under no circumstances whatsoever"
position (as reported by Andy)?  Surely we should have the benefit of knowing
what our directors think so that we may encourage them to modify or retain
their current positions...  Openness and transparency are all about
"communication".  A communicative Board can engender trust, and trust is the
real issue.

I find it sad that you have to go out of your way to defend closed meetings.
Perhaps you too, have too much time on your hands.

Best wishes,
Danny Younger