Re: [ALSC-Forum] Re: [ga] Substance over rhetoric - a constructivechallenge
- To: Don Brown <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [ALSC-Forum] Re: [ga] Substance over rhetoric - a constructivechallenge
- From: Stephen Waters <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: 18 Mar 2002 13:13:57 -0600
- Cc: vint cerf <email@example.com>, Sotiris Sotiropoulos <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Kristy McKee <email@example.com>, Joop Teernstra <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Esther Dyson <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Thomas Roessler <firstname.lastname@example.org>, AbelWisman <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Barbara Simons <email@example.com>
- In-Reply-To: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com><DPEOJECBMOLLLJOFDNDPMEMFCCAA.firstname.lastname@example.org><20020315105852.GB26427@sobolev.does-not-exist.org><email@example.com><firstname.lastname@example.org><email@example.com><firstname.lastname@example.org><email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
AFAICT, the MoU requires substantive representation, but not necessarily
elections. Moving context from 1998 to 2002, I think it is obvious to
any would-be At-Large participant that only elections will provide
substantive representation in the face of the entrenched interests on
the Board. c.f., Karl's characterization of NomCom as the "Council of
Personally, I don't see much difference between electoral capture and
capture-via-entrenched-interests-on-the-Board except that the
probability of the former is lower than that of the latter.
On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 10:16, Don Brown wrote:
> Doesn't the MoU require this representation?
> Monday, March 18, 2002, 9:32:45 AM, vint cerf <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> vc> no I can't because the board's view was that elections were infeasible
> vc> at the moment. The board is well aware of the problem of expiring board
> vc> seats and believes it must take an action at the next meeting or at
> vc> the latest, shanghai in october if these seats are to be preserved.
> vc> vint
> vc> At 09:03 AM 3/18/2002 -0800, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
> >>Given that the ALSC recommendations included an election
> >>component, and given that the current AtLarge
> >>Directorships are expiring, can you give us any indication
> >>as to the proposed time frame for said election component
> >>to be announced?
> vc> --
> vc> This message was passed to you via the email@example.com list.
> vc> Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe
> vc> ("unsubscribe ga" in the body of the message).
> vc> Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html
> Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA Internet Concepts, Inc.
> email@example.com http://www.inetconcepts.net
> PGP Key ID: 04C99A55 (972) 788-2364 Fax: (972) 788-5049
> Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
This is a digitally signed message part