Re: [ga] Motion to the Chair

Sandy and all assembly members,

  I must agree with Sandy's method/approach here, and myself have
advocated it.  Anyone can employ their own filters and accomplish
the desired effect.  However I see no reason why this motion could
not be given consideration to give the GA members a chance to
decide where their feelings are on such a motion....  However I
would NOT second such a motion as it is currently drafted...

Sandy Harris wrote:

> Joop Teernstra wrote:
>
> > The bandwidth of this GA is being wasted to the point that I fear many
> > subscribers have stopped reading most postings.
>
> Yes.
>
> > MOTION
> > I would like to request your instruction to the list monitors that ,
> > instead of judging and sentencing rulebreakers themselves , they are
> > authorized by the Chair to pass on names of offenders (people they get
> > repeated ga-abuse complaints about) to a List Polling Officer, who will put
> > up these names for an ostracism vote by the participants.
> > END OF MOTION
>
> Everyone is authorised to use a killfile. If you think a particular person's
> postings are rubbish, or they are posting far too often, just put them in
> your killfile and stop reading them. If enough of us do that, they are
> ostracised.
>
> This implies, I think, that monitors need only deal with things that cannot
> reasonably be handled by killfile. We probably still need monitors to deal
> with extreme personal attacks, but not much else.
>
> I haven't found it necessary to killfile anyone here yet, though I admit
> some folks tempt me.
>
> Methinks your motion is absurd. We need less off-topic stuff, less backbiting,
> and less of the illusion that votes in a self-selected non-representative
> group are meaningful. I think your motion would mean more of all those.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827