Re: [ga] Motion to the Chair

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> The bandwidth of this GA is being wasted to the point that I fear many
> subscribers have stopped reading most postings.

Yes.

> MOTION
> I would like to request your instruction to the list monitors that ,
> instead of judging and sentencing rulebreakers themselves , they are
> authorized by the Chair to pass on names of offenders (people they get
> repeated ga-abuse complaints about) to a List Polling Officer, who will put
> up these names for an ostracism vote by the participants.
> END OF MOTION

Everyone is authorised to use a killfile. If you think a particular person's
postings are rubbish, or they are posting far too often, just put them in
your killfile and stop reading them. If enough of us do that, they are
ostracised.

This implies, I think, that monitors need only deal with things that cannot
reasonably be handled by killfile. We probably still need monitors to deal
with extreme personal attacks, but not much else.

I haven't found it necessary to killfile anyone here yet, though I admit
some folks tempt me.

Methinks your motion is absurd. We need less off-topic stuff, less backbiting,
and less of the illusion that votes in a self-selected non-representative
group are meaningful. I think your motion would mean more of all those.