Re: [ga] Motion to the Chair

Hello Joop,

Your motion is out of order.

It is not only not in compliance with our list rules, but further this
type of an "ostracism" is not appropriate for a forum like the DNSO
GA.

We know you support heavy handed dictatorial type actions (based on
your repeated suggestions of these types of actions, both here and in
your IDNO past), but that is not the way the GA is or should be run.
Emotional dislike of persons is not a grounds for removing those
persons.

The GA is not a "social" organization which is made up only of those
whom are approved of by the majority of members.

Saturday, July 07, 2001, 7:47:37 PM, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> Dear Mr Chair and Mr Alt-chair of the GA,

> The bandwidth of this GA is being wasted to the point that I fear many
> subscribers have stopped reading most postings.
> MOTION
> I would like to request your instruction to the list monitors that ,
> instead of judging and sentencing rulebreakers themselves , they are
> authorized by the Chair to pass on names of offenders (people they get
> repeated ga-abuse complaints about) to a List Polling Officer, who will put
> up these names for an ostracism vote by the participants.
> END OF MOTION

> I strongly recommend that the members of this Assembly read up on
> "Ostracism" in a good encyclopedia.

> The Athenian Greeks, in their  quest for insurance against tyranny, found a
> way to deal with destabilizers and obsessives in a fair and effective way.
> Where we are dealing here with unfettered chaos, with rules that have
> become worthless with being unenforceable.

> We must make the step to functioning majority rule.

> A moderator, if the wrong person, can become the tyrant. We now have two
> moderators left. We should relieve them of the burden.

> For instance, only a vote by all members can be fair and reasonable in
> deciding whether a topic is "relevant to the GA". Personnally, I would only
> accept a very trusted person to decide that for me.

> I have a sample of two such votes currently up in the Polling Booth.
> www.democracy.org.nz/vote1
> There is a choice on a scale of one to ten, whether certain postings are
> relevant.

> Entry is free (without  password) as long as you have not registered with
> the Chair or alt-chair to become a registered Booth voter.
> When we have a sufficient number of registered voters there, we could hold
> a secure vote.

> I volunteer to become the GA Polling Officer or I am willing to stand in an
> election for such an office.

> Now please, let's get organized by ourselves, if it is too hard for the
> Secretariat to help us with this.

> The above motion to the Chair is open for seconds.

> Joop Teernstra LL.M.,
> councillor
> InternetNZ

Best regards,