Re: [ga] Re: Suspension of Voting Rights

At 14:01 02.05.2001 +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:
>On 19:33 1/05/01 -0700, Kent Crispin said:
>
> >Sorry, you should read more carefully.  Harald said, in the message I
> >was replying to, the following:
> >
> >    Another possible form of representation would be to grant domain
> >    name owners one vote per registered domain name in a
> >    totally-integrated "domian name owners' constituency".
> >
> >Note carefully:  he said "one vote per registered domain name".
>
>ooops. You are right, I overlooked that. Your reply was justified.
>Both my comments  withdrawn with apologies.
>This makes Harald's 'possible form of representation' totally different
>from the one I proposed.
>Was it meant seriously, Harald?

It would seem a reasonably fair basis. But there are obvious problems:

- Getting agreement on which domain names were entitled to a vote
   (*.com is in, *.co.uk is in, *.ml.net may be out - what about
   the *.god domains....?)
- Getting the word out to the people that they actually have this right, and
   establishing means to let them participate in the process
- Avoiding the obvious "proxy" ploy: "by registering this domain name through
   evilregistrar.com, you permanently assign all rights to represent you to
   ICANN through your voting power to evilregistrar.com"
- Proving that this is more reasonable than "you have a vote because you are
   a human being".

The proposal was serious, as far as something that is not fully worked out
can be serious. Whether it is the best proposal is a matter that we have to
discuss further.