Re: [ga] Re: Suspension of Voting Rights

On 2 May 2001, at 9:42, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> At 14:01 02.05.2001 +1200, Joop Teernstra wrote:
> >On 19:33 1/05/01 -0700, Kent Crispin said:
> >
> > >Sorry, you should read more carefully.  Harald said, in the message I
> > >was replying to, the following:
> > >
> > >    Another possible form of representation would be to grant domain
> > >    name owners one vote per registered domain name in a
> > >    totally-integrated "domian name owners' constituency".
> > >
> > >Note carefully:  he said "one vote per registered domain name".
> >
> >ooops. You are right, I overlooked that. Your reply was justified.
> >Both my comments  withdrawn with apologies.
> >This makes Harald's 'possible form of representation' totally different
> >from the one I proposed.
> >Was it meant seriously, Harald?
>
> It would seem a reasonably fair basis. But there are obvious problems:
>
> - Getting agreement on which domain names were entitled to a vote
>    (*.com is in, *.co.uk is in, *.ml.net may be out - what about
>    the *.god domains....?)

Yes to all, IMO.  A registrant is a registrant.  It  really should not matter
what the domain name is, even a 3 or 4ld.  All that is needed is the
delegation of a domain name.  For the purposes of the DNSO, all the
above would be stakeholders.

> - Getting the word out to the people that they actually have this right, and
>    establishing means to let them participate in the process

Would have to be worked out, of course.

> - Avoiding the obvious "proxy" ploy: "by registering this domain name through
>    evilregistrar.com, you permanently assign all rights to represent you to
>    ICANN through your voting power to evilregistrar.com"

I'd really like to see an atty's opinion on this type of clause in a contract
of adhesion.  Can one be forced into relinquishing this right in this
manner?  If the GA (ICANN) gives the right to vote to a registrant, can a
registrar take it away?  I would think that the GA could confer the right
to the registrant for voting in the GA regardless.  To do otherwise would
be the same as forcing someone to give up rights to membership in a
trade association or union by an employer or another trade association.
"If you do anything with me, you can't do anything with any other
group."  At least in the US, the employer can't prevent someone joining
a union.

> - Proving that this is more reasonable than "you have a vote because you are
>    a human being".

As opposed to? :)

> The proposal was serious, as far as something that is not fully worked out
> can be serious. Whether it is the best proposal is a matter that we have to
> discuss further.

Leah