Re: [ga] Last minute changes to Verisign agreements

At 10:50 PM 4/1/2001, DPF wrote:
>I'm not sure anyone here has said they are angry.   I am disappointed
>not that modifications were made but that they were made after
>explicit assurances were given that there would be no changes.  This
>is a bit like changing the rules in the 9th innings.

No, it is a bit like a large, intractable company deciding that bad public
press is worth responding to.

We should take some pleasure in Versign's concessions, rather take part in
the constant complaint-fest.

>The issue is not whether the changes enhance Option B.  It is whether
>it is good process to have the Board making decisions on new
>agreements with no chance to consult on them and less than 24 hours to
>consider them.

Your statement is directly in line with the many other participants who are
more concerned about the precise details of process than they are about
making real progress, never mind doing it is a timely fashion.

Such a casual attitude towards the content of proposals suggests a lack of
real concern about the content of ICANN's work and, by implication, a
disregard for the real work of administering names and addresses on the net.

Let's stop treating this as an academic exercise in abstract governance and
treat it more like the pragmatic task of operations administration that it is.

d/