Re: [ga] Last minute changes to Verisign agreements

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 01:20:28 -0400 , you wrote:

>I'm disappointed to hear from some that they are angry about the
>modifications being made to Option B.  These seem to me to be responsive to
>the comments presented by the NC and the constituencies. I never thought
>that the Constituencies, or the NC should micro-manage the contract
>negotiations, but should instead offer policy advice, which they did, in my
>view.

I'm not sure anyone here has said they are angry.   I am disappointed
not that modifications were made but that they were made after
explicit assurances were given that there would be no changes.  This
is a bit like changing the rules in the 9th innings.

The issue is not whether the changes enhance Option B.  It is whether
it is good process to have the Board making decisions on new
agreements with no chance to consult on them and less than 24 hours to
consider them.

Some of us here are quite passionate in wanting ICANN to succeed.  I
certainly do.  However one needs to have significant buy-in to major
decisions and I worry that any decision rushed through will merely
diminish ICANN's standing.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com