RE: [ga] Last minute changes to Verisign agreements

I've read the documents by now, in detail.

I've paid close attention to the different issues raised by the different
constituencies, and while I can't being to speak for anyone else, I see
considerable merit to the stakeholder community in the WHOIS commitments.
Several constituencies (ISP, BC, and ISP all discussed these issues and
raised a concern about WHOIS).  Some of the questions/issue re the
discounted pricing which was raised by the Registrar constituency was also
addressed in the clarification letter.   There is also an acknowledgement of
the concern of registry/registrar cross-subsidization (wrong term, I know...
sorry, it's late here...)  I think that was at least acknowledged...And, I
take it seriously, and it appears that the board does as well.  Dealing with
that is a "future" issue, since it depends on behavior going forward....

Getting the ability to penalize Verisign/NSI for abuses was one of the
benefits of Option B, as I recall. Once abuses are documented and presented
to the ICANN staff.  I think, though, that the board and staff are likely to
be receptive to such reports, given the reference for that need from several
constituencies.

Stratton raises a good point to note that what is agreed to by Verisign/NSI
must be required of other registries as well. I think that the staff and
board should make sure that this happens, with the caveat that the dominant
player often gets "different" treatment, UNTIL they are no longer dominant.
"Different" means structural safeguards and perhaps a bit of extra
reporting...

I'm disappointed to hear from some that they are angry about the
modifications being made to Option B.  These seem to me to be responsive to
the comments presented by the NC and the constituencies. I never thought
that the Constituencies, or the NC should micro-manage the contract
negotiations, but should instead offer policy advice, which they did, in my
view.

I wish the board well tomorrow a.m. in its decisions. It's a tough situation
to figure out what enables competition, ensures stabilization of ICANN, and
gets the rest of the work it faces moving: like the new gTLDs, multi-lingual
issues, any role it has in ENUM, etc.

I can see merits and defects in both options... but these changes offer some
benefits, particularly in the WHOIS area.

Just one person's view....

whew! time for me to sign off! I just realized how late it is.

Regards, Marilyn