Re: [ga] Re: Last minute changes to Verisign agreements

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 23:24:22 -0700, you wrote:

>At 10:23 PM 4/1/2001, DPF wrote:
>>The changes to the agreement are welcome but it would be a terrible
>>public policy example to agree to such changes with less than 24 hours
>>to consider and analyse them.
>
>Given that the changes are directly in line with the public requests, what
>is the purpose of additional delay?

That is your opinion.  That may also be the opinion of ICANN
management but it is only an opinion.  One needs time to consider how
well these changes do indeed meet the requests of various groups.
Those who actually made the requests should have the opportunity to
say whether they now believe B/C is better than A.

>Remember that our job is not to negotiate the contract but to offer comments.

Of course and we should be given the opportunity to comment on the new
proposals.  Do you really think less than 24 hours is adequate for
what are not insignificant changes?

>>If Verisign will not agree to any extension I still believe Option A
>>(status quo) is the safest option as at least with that we know what
>>we are getting.
>
>That's just a bit counter-productive, don't you think?
>
>Alternative regularizes the contract, compared with other registries,
>removes fee restrictions, now will add sanctions for misbehaviors, and so on.
>
>What are the contractual benefits of the existing contract that could
>possibly make it preferable to the revised Alternative B?

I do not believe in giving instant analysis.  I want to be able to
look at the totality of the Revised B, ask questions about it, solicit
more info and then be able to give an opinion.

My initial feel is that B is improved by these changes but
nevertheless it would be ir-responsible to insist on changes being
voted on within 24 hours.  Verisign should not ask ICANN Board to
force itself to do so.  If Verisign agreed to last minute changes then
as a corollary it should also agree IMO to a time extension so that
they can be considered fairly.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com