[council]

[council] multi-lingual issues

speaking as an individual member of the council......

I would strongly encourage individual participation from all names council members in the multi-lingual discussion which are currently underway.

the names council composition is a classic example of a broad cultural and linguistic diversity which is currently not adequately being addressed from a "communications perspective" .

I strongly believe that this issue must be addressed and dealt with in a positive and timely manner and sooner rather than later.

here is a short list of just some of the  problems I feel which need to be addressed...

1. establishing communications priorities (I.e. verbal or written) .. my preference is written first then as resources become available we can migrate to simultaneous translations of ICANN meetings (I.e. GA, NC & BOARD)
2. determining language translation priorities (I.e. which languages ?)
3. determination of which items should be translated  (I.e. documentation priorities)

as a bare minimum starter I believe the following documents s/b included: (not in order of priority here)

 icann site (including all sections... especially announcements, by-laws, rules, etc)
 DNSO Site
 All other SO sites
 icann board meeting minutes
 names council minutes
 All future w-g proposals & reports

I recognize that this may entail a significant budget item, but it is essential that for effective future outreach that we acknowledge the "global perspective" of ICANN.

I would hope that in the true spirit of co-operation we do run into "petty issues" as to what other languages are "important" but rather we develop some methodologies to independently identify in an unbiased manner which languages are most "requested".

I believe we need to send a strong message to the community that we share a "strong concern" for addressing these issues on a "timely basis"

ken stubbs