Re: [council] FYI. Caroline proposal was sent by Kathryn to the ncdnhc *BEFORE* even put on the dnso.org

____

 This message is intended for the individual or entity named above.  If you
are not the intended
 recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to
others; also please
 notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from
your system.  Thank you.
____

LEGAL ADVICE TO THE NC

This is probably obvious to all, but in light of Kathy Kleiman's note
below, I thought it might be useful to point out that the bylaws do not
require that the GA Chair be a GA "participant," or for that matter set any
other specific qualifications.  It may or may not be a good idea, but the
NC is free under the bylaws to elect anyone it pleases.

Since the bylaws are also silent on procedure, and since the NC is
responsible for the management of the DNSO, it seems logical to conclude
that it can set forth the process for nominations as well.

Finally, the bylaws do not say that "participants" in the GA shall nominate
the Chair--in fact, they are silent on this issue--and given the previous
problems with both verification and spamming, it would probably be a bad
idea to set such a qualification.  Since the GA is open to anyone, and
since the NC is given the right to manage the DNSO by Section 2 of Article
VI-B, it certainly can choose to accept nominations from anyone.  It could,
if it chose, inform anyone who wishes to nominate that they must assert
that they are a participant in the DNSO/GA, or if it chooses it could
require them to assert that the nominator has logged into the GA list at
least once in the past, recognizing that this is not verifiable. In fact,
since the GA list is subject to obvious abuse, even these could be argued
to be silly requirements with no substance.  Since the GA Chair is an arm
of the NC used to carry out the NC's management responsibilities with
respect to the GA, it is not correct to view this process as being required
to be either truly electoral or representative.  This is not to say that
the NC might not determine that it was desirable, and likely to aid it in
its responsibility of managing the development of consensus, to choose to
elect what it perceived to be a representative of the GA "participants,"
however that term is defined.  Nevertheless, the NC's first responsibility
under the bylaws as now written is to manage the consensus building
process, of which the GA is a part, with no particular formal requirements
for the selection of a GA Chair.

 (Embedded
 image moved   Elisabeth Porteneuve
 to file:      <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr>