RE: [wg-d] Freezing WG Membership

Brett and Others:

I am not prepared to establish a rule that all working groups should be
either open or closed after a certain date, and would prefer a rule that
allows for closed groups exceptionally when the circumstances warrant. These
would include: a) tight deadlines and
		b) a narrow, technical mandate

It occurs to me that certain groups, such as WG-D, could have tight well
defined mandates and be better off with a closed structure after a certain
period.
On the other hand, much of this may be rearranging deck chairs on the
Titanic.
Having seen what the Names Council did with WG-C's 6-10 recommendation, it
is clear that Working Groups do not really matter as regards fundamental
questions. Perhaps this is inevitable, but it is unfortunate. It would
appear from the decisions of the Names Council that the IP constituency will
roll over everyone in each new forum, to the extent they can or that they
are allowed to.

Keeping a group that concerns itself with the large issues open during the
course of its mandate would seem to me effective at preventing a closed and
partial list, and to allow for people to get interested as the issue heats
up.

I do not see that stipulating a  period after which membership is closed
will solve, alleviate, aggravate, or cause a stacking problem by itself.The
real concern is that working groups matter for little in the councils of the
great.
Timothy Denton, BA, BCL
tmdenton.com
Telecom and Internet Law and Policy