Re: [wg-d] Freezing WG Membership

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 11:25:32AM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
> Strongly  dis-agreed.
>
> The problems with process are far more complicated than just newcomers.
>
> Yes, newcomers need handling.  So do disruptive members.  So do members who
> have too little background to fully appreciate the issues.
>
> Newbies are just part of the cost of having an open process.
>
> Let's be very careful to focus on underlying issues and not symptoms.  We
> need to develop much better working group content structure and process
> management.  If we do, newbies will not be a problem.

I'm with Mr. Crocker on this one.  We have fundamental issues that need
addressing.  Slapping bandages on an existing flawed process isn't the
way to go.  It's been the modus operandi for ICANN to date, and it's
caused some serious headaches.

Let's build a better foundation rather than repaint the house.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org