Re: [wg-c] Give NSI .shop and take back .com

At 06:08 PM 4/20/00 -0400, John Charles Broomfield wrote:
>         I'll agree with you that ".web" as a generic sounds to me much
>betterr (more generic?) than ".shop". I'll agree that a lot of people would

My note did not state that .shop was superior.

It said that it had been more substantially reviewed.  That does not
pertain to the question of how loudly or how long one or another person
touts the string.  It has to do with the nature of a discussion that
considers the merits of the string, and with the breadth of participation
in that discussion.

The IAHC, itself, almost included it initially.  Hence it was rather
carefully considered by that body of 12 people with quite diverse
backgrounds.

Then, the public review if the IAHC list resulted in very, very strong
feedback indicating that .shop was superior to .store and should be
included.  Again, a pretty broad range of people participated in that open
and public discussion.

Yes .web was also in that published list and, therefore, also
considered.  However by virtue of being part of a controversy about
adequacy of the initial list, .shop received much more focused discussion
than any other candidate string.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA