Re: [wg-c] S/K principles [Was: Working Group C agenda]

At 11:31 AM 4/5/00 -0400, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>         I suspect that the objections that have been raised by Kevin,
> Rod, Mark,
>Dave and Eric can't be addressed by redrafting.  As far as the
>Connolly/Dixon/Langston objection is concerned, I'd expect Philip Sheppard
>to view the requirement that registries enforce their charters as a
>fundamental one, not something he could give up while maintaining the
>principles' utility.  (Phil — am I right about this?)  And I think that the
>set of principles that would satisfy Dave Crocker and Eric Brunner is so
>different from this one that one couldn't get there using this set as a
>starting point.  (Dave, Eric — am I right about this?)

I'm not entirely sure I entirely understand the query, but here's an effort
to respond, for myself only:

Registration restricted to conformance to a charter is a 'chartered'
TLD.  com/net/org represent a category that is not enforced and it is THIS
category that is in need of competition.  I think chartered TLDs are fine,
but they are an entirely separate market from 'generic' TLDs.  (Think hard
about the term 'generic'.  If there is a charter and it is enforced, just
how 'generic' is the TLD.)  com/net/org have descriptions of the intended
meaning of their terms, but carry no enforcement.

So, I think that requiring -- or even pursuing -- enforcement at this stage
is entirely misguided and serves only to keep us from pursuing our primary
task, namely to create competition for com/net/org..

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA