RE: [wg-c] Re: A question about .INT (Fwd for Mike StJohns)

At 04:56 AM 12/15/1999 , Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> > 1.  We've made no progress in 5 years creating ANY TLDs, generic or
> > sponsored.  Hence, creating and exercising the administrative
> > capability to
> > add some is a highly non-trivial demonstration.
>
>Both true and false,
>         1) we have made some progress
>         2) we haven't made enough progress

Activity is not the same is progress.  In this realm, progress in expanding
the TLD space requires making new TLDs available to end-users.  We haven't
done that.

>1) What's an sTLD?

sponsored TLD.

>3) The registry doesn't create TLDs and then try to find an operator.
>Rather, a candidate operator creates a TLD, with concept plan, and

ICANN authorizes TLDs and it selects registry authority organizations who,
in turn, select operators.  (ICANN's choosing to defer the TLDs selection
to the registry authority is nonetheless a matter of ICANN's choice.)

In 5 years, none of these steps has been taken for any new gTLDs or sTLDs.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA