Re: [wg-c] Re: A question about .INT (Fwd for Mike StJohns)

At 02:47 PM 12/14/1999 , Milton Mueller wrote:
>My point, in case it still isn't clear, was this: there are no serious
>operational,
>economic, or policy issues raised when you create TLDs narrowly scoped for
>specific types
>of registrants. We could introduce 100 of them tomorrow and no one would
>notice -- the
>only issue would be the administrative one of deciding who got to run them.
>
>As Rutkowski showed, .INT has less than 80 registrations in it. It's less
>than a drop in
>the ocean. What would we "learn," therefore, from a "testbed" that created
>one or two
>.INT-like tlds? My answer was that we would learn nothing of value. We've
>been there,

1.  We've made no progress in 5 years creating ANY TLDs, generic or
sponsored.  Hence, creating and exercising the administrative capability to
add some is a highly non-trivial demonstration.

2.  Given the history of this activity, dismissing the administrative
difficulties involved in selecting sTLDs and assigning registration
authority for them is truly bizarre.  The best guess is that missing this
point distinguishes between the perspectives of pragmatic operations focus,
versus naive academic curiosity.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA