RE: [wg-c] Consensus vote - "no" on procedural grounds

On 12-Dec-1999 bob broxton wrote:
> 3.  This vote should not be taken until consideration has been given to
> the recent increase in the length of Domain names to 67 characters as
> the result of work done by the IETF.  This is a fairly significant move
> which has received little publicity.
>
>        By this action the "shortage" of available domain names is
> somewhat mitigated - a tremendous benefit to those who have been shut
> out of the ".com" space.  With a little creativity many companies can
> now have that precious ".com" address.
>
>         This expansion to 67 characters could relieve the perception of
> a rapidly depleting namespace.  The additional characters creates a
> substantial increase in the number of mathematically-possible
> combinations of numbers and letters .

1)  This has not been implemented yet by NSI, and there is no indication from them that
they will implement it anytime in the near future.

2)  How many companies have names in the real world that are longer than 26 characters?
I would venture to say very few.  With rare exceptions, people prefer a smaller, catchier
domain.  This will only force people to use long, kludgy, difficult to remember domains.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934