[wg-c] Consensus vote - "no" on procedural grounds

I vote "no".

This not a substantive "no".  In voting on the final report I may very
well vote "yes" to this proposal.  I intend to keep an open mind on all
the issues until I review the public comments on both the Interim Report
and the Draft Final Report.

I am voting "no" procedurally for the following reasons:

1.  It would be better if  this vote should not be occurring during the
open period for public comments.  It would help those of us who are
undecided on this issue to be able to review the public comments before
taking this vote.  I would also hope that all the members of this
committee are prepared to change their positions if someone makes a
really persuasive argument for the other side that they had never
considered.

2.  It is not necessary to take a consensus vote on this issue until all
the pros and cons on this issue have been consolidated so everyone can
fully understand all the issues.  I am very naive on some of these
issues and am looking forward to being educated by reasoned arguments by
members of the committee.

3.  This vote should not be taken until consideration has been given to
the recent increase in the length of Domain names to 67 characters as
the result of work done by the IETF.  This is a fairly significant move
which has received little publicity.

       By this action the "shortage" of available domain names is
somewhat mitigated - a tremendous benefit to those who have been shut
out of the ".com" space.  With a little creativity many companies can
now have that precious ".com" address.

        This expansion to 67 characters could relieve the perception of
a rapidly depleting namespace.  The additional characters creates a
substantial increase in the number of mathematically-possible
combinations of numbers and letters .

Thank you very much for considering these comments.  I will not be
reviewing or sending any further postings (due to dedicated time with
the family and an intense business deadline) until after the New Year.

I wish everyone a happy Holiday season and a most wonderful New Year.

Bob Broxton
broxton@erols.com