63/67 characters? Was RE: [wg-c] Consensus vote - "no" on proceduralgrounds

> >         This expansion to 67 characters ...

> 1)  This has not been implemented yet by NSI...

Huh?  63 characters is RFC specified limit on the size of a "label" (a
chunk between a pair of dots, including the implicit dot representing the
root) in a domain name name.  It has been that way ever since "the
beginning".

The lesser limitations are merely an administrative convention - I've
personally run with many third level names that are near or at the 63 byte
limit.

Perhaps there is some implementation restriction in "bind" that imposes a
limit more restrictive than the RFC and pertains only to SLD names.  But
I'm not aware of such an additional restriction in the code.

		--karl--