Re: [wg-c] ballot stuffing

At 02:24 PM 12/10/1999 , Kevin J. Connolly wrote:
>This note, however, is motivated by a different
>consideration, namely, that of being attacked
>as a no-compromise unthinker by a participant
>whose characterization by me would certainly
>be counterproductive.

I probably misunderstand your note, but feel that it warrants a
response.  To the extent that none of what follows is what you are
concerned about, I offer it as general comments to the list, rather than
just a specific response to you:

1.  Unless I missed the note, there hasn't been one attacking you.  (The
downside of filtering messages is that one can easily miss such things...)

2.  Messages on this thread, starting with mine, have not discussed anyone
specifically, other than a couple of responses that tossed off some ad
hominems about me.

In particular, my original note attempted to define a "class" of
voters.  Most notable among the criteria for that class was no history of
participating in this discussion -- and the "in this working group" seemed
an obvious referent, though apparently not obvious enough.  One would be
hard-pressed to count you as a non-participant...

Just to underscore the concern I was raising:  The problem is not with
anyone voting no, but rather an apparent campaign that was developed to
create a pattern of no's.  There is a difference between individuals voting
no versus an organized campaign to stuff the ballot box.  Hence the choice
of Subject line text.

Yes, that's a conspiracy theory and no, I don't have any "proof".  That's
why I detailed the basis for my assessment pretty carefully.

In any event the intent was to highlight a process difficulty for which
there is no obvious solution, rather than to complain about individuals --
or even groups.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA