Re: [wg-c] ballot stuffing

Dear Readers,

I have been (generally) keeping quiet, because
the press of my law practice and certain other
internet-related activity has preoccupied my
attention of late.  I think it also bears mentioning
that I did not prepare a position paper because
several members of the WG (members for whom
I have the utmost respect) told me in no uncertain
terms that my idea was a non-starter or so obviously
a CORE put-up job, or so patently an anti-CORE
job, that it was not worth discussing.  And, indeed,
the proposal I have floated in this WG seems not
to have been taken seriously by any participants in the process.

That actually reinforces my thinking that I may
actually have it right :-)

This note, however, is motivated by a different
consideration, namely, that of being attacked
as a no-compromise unthinker by a participant
whose characterization by me would certainly
be counterproductive.

>Hello Rita,
>
>I think it was worth noting that so far all of the "No" votes have a common thread, and
>that indeed they have a common motivation.
>
>Whereas in the "yes" votes we have a broad base of opinion, people who would have a hard
>time agreeing that the sky was blue normally.
>
>Those voting yes have, for the most part, had to make vast compromises in their own
>hardfast opinions to consent to this, in an effort to move forward and have progress.
>Those voting no obviously do not feel they can be a part of a compromise.

This "no" voter is deeply concerned about
what we are doing.  As Cromwell said in
another crisis, "I beseech ye, in the bowels
of Christ, bethink ye might err."  Once a TLD
is added to the root, it will be like kudzu:  it is
not going to go away.  The process is unidirectional,
like time, and therefore the occasion for preventing
irreparable damage is *before* the mistake is made.

>Fine, that is their right, but don't expect it to go unnoticed, or for others, such as
>Dave or the rest of us, to comment on it.
>
>It helps the others who may be on the fence to put the votes into perspective, and see
>the common thread behind those who are "dissenting."

Fence sitters should not be misled into thinking
that anyone who votes "no" on the consensus
poll is opposed to the addition of TLDs to the root.
Those who have taken the time to listen to me
know I firmly support the unrestricted growth of
the TLD namespace.  Let a myriad TLDs bloom.
But let us not give the trademark community the
opportunity to dismiss us as a bunch of loons.
Information does *not* want to be free, and
trademarks *are* valuable property.

Whatever else we may say about domain names,
it is disingenuous in the extreme to ignore or try
to suppress the fact that domain names have an undeniable
intellectual property content.

It is also political suicide for those of us who wish
to see the TLD namespace grow luxuriantly to
ignore the trademark community.  Their fears
have squashed the process before.  Their
economic resources are quite capable of
doing it again.

To reiterate:  6-10 is both too many and too
few.  It is too many to serve as a true
testbed or proof of concept operation.  Proof
of concept could be accomplished by
adding .nom, .per, and .mus to the root
and seeing what happens.  It is too few to
preclude the holders of the new domains
from exercising monopoly powers in the domain
name market.  Let us not impose a preconceived
path on the future of the Internet.  Let us instead
make the least dangerous set of changes.
Primum non nocere is a rule of medicine and
should be a rule of political decision-making
where the potential for enormous,
long-lasting mischief is undeniable.

{snipped Rita Odin's response to Dave Crocker's post}

Kevin J. Connolly
Verbum sapientiae satis est.
Encyclopedia stulti non est satis.
Sapientiae, non stulti, esse.
The opinions expressed are those of the author,
not of Robinson Silverman Pearce Aronsohn & Berman LLP
This note is not legal advice.  If it were, it would come with an invoice.
As usual, please disregard the trailer which follows.
The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com