RE: [wg-c] registry contracts

> Behalf Of Eric Brunner
> Sent: Monday, November 22, 1999 3:28 AM

> The only bit I think useful or interesting is capital access
> related, for
> which Roeland's recent is sufficient, and how long it takes
> this group of
> merry zero-cap pioneers to flip from a free market to a
> necessary cartel
> PR line. I'm really looking forward to the financial disclosures.

[As usual, you leave me wishing that you were a bit less obscure. Every time
you write you throw out lots of tinsel yet, only include salient points by
obscure reference.]

If I get your point correctly, there has indeed been a dirth of capital
funding for these efforts. The fact that the trail is littered with
dysfunctional non-profits makes this more difficult. There is also the issue
that many of us refuse sources of funding that are contrary to our first
principles (corporate mission statement of which, not a single one says
"profit at all costs" - Robin Nixon is a [thankfully] rare exception).

BTW, I stand corrected wrt IOD and WEB. IOD is quite active, but low-key.
Still, they have also been greatly effected by the delays. It is difficult
to keep VC attention for more than four weeks, let alone the four years that
this process has been running. Many of us, that are still standing, are
self-funded. You DO realize that the longer this process goes on, the more
small-caps drop out, leaving only the large-cap corps. Thus, predicating the
end-result that you seem so fearful of, which is that the registry business
will become dominated by large-cap proponents from the outset.