Re: [wg-c] non/for-profit

----- Original Message -----
From: Milton Mueller <mueller@syr.edu>

> Keith Gymer wrote:
>
> > Personally, I feel that for-profit registries are likely to be set up
and

> > run principally for that reason and not for the wider benefit of all
> > internet staekholders as a whole, consequently, I don't think they are
> > desirable.
>
> Substitute "telephone companies" for "registries." Understand?

In the UK, responsibility for the allocation of number series (01.., 02..,
03.., ....., 08.., 09.. etc) now resides with the Regulator precisely
because it was recognised that in a competitive service market (cf.
RegisTRARS), even if the responsible telcos were not deliberately
anti-competitive, there would always be the perception amongst others that
they were.  Same goes for registries in my view.

Understand?