Re: [wg-c] non/for-profit

 Jonathan Weinberg <weinberg@mail.msen.com> asked

> Do we, in fact, have rough consensus on this point?

I would doubt it.  Silence is seldom genuinely a sign of  either consent or
content in my experience.

> All of you who believe
> that the inclusion of for-profit registries would be unacceptable --
please
> stand up and be counted.  (Certainly that view has been expressed on the
> list in the past.)  Write to the list explaining your position.  I'm
> hopeful that we can bring this debate to resolution.
>
> One point in particular to focus on:  We didn't much address the question
> of lock-in in our most recent discussion.  Do the people opposing the
> inclusion of for-profit registries have concerns *other* than lock-in, or
> is lock-in basically the issue here?

Lock-in and price gouging are clearly issues, and for general purpose
(g)TLDs you only have to look at the NSI experience.

Personally, I feel that for-profit registries are likely to be set up and
run principally for that reason and not for the wider benefit of all
internet staekholders as a whole, consequently, I don't think they are
desirable.

Keith