Re: [wg-c] registry contracts

Milton Mueller <mueller@syr.edu> wrote 11/12/99 03:03PM

>Kevin J. Connolly wrote:
>
>> I recoil in horror at the thought of making ICANN or one of its satellites into an
>> explicit tariff-receiving and rate-setting or -approving agency.
>
>So do I. So do many people, including, I think, many of ICANN's Board.

I hope that's true of the Board.  Sometimes I wonder about at least some
of the members of this WG.

>I think Kevin J. Connolly is on the right track below. Although I have important
>disagreements,  . . . {snip}

>> 3.  Zones held by non-profit registries should not be re-bid,
>
>[snip]I don't agree with the idea of applying different standards to profit and
>non-profit with respect to delegations. In both cases ICANN is offering to advertise a
>zone file in its root; i.e., it is offering them both the same thing. If there is a
>fee, both should pay it; if there is a periodic redelegation, both should have the same
>period. By applying this principle, one avoids the problems K.C. astutely recognized in
>#4 and #7 below.

If we do not recognize a distinction between for-profit and not-for-profit, then, over
time, there will be a tendency for the "good" TLDs to be captured by for-profit registries.
I think it would be bad for the future of the Internet were all of the "good" TLDs to fall
onto one side (or the other) of the for/non//profit divide.

>I understand that it is attractive, from a social policy point of view, to "encourage"
>non-profits and to "tax," or extract some of the value from, for-profits. However, I do
>not wish to encourage the model of ICANN as a taxing authority with a
>wealth-redistribution charge.

It's not a matter of taxation or wealth-distribution.  It's a matter of responsibly allocating
a fixed economic resource, i.e., slots in the authoritative root zone.

> If one believes that that should be done, that's for
>governments to do. Nor do I think ICANN should be in the business of determining what
>kinds of organizations are worthy of encouragement.

If we are not to sit back and allow all of the TLDs fall into the control of profit-
maximizers, then ICANN needs to make some choices.  I have always thought
that it was for this reason that the DNSO was called into existence.

>I advocate a minimalist role for
>ICANN. I think that view commands a consensus among the SOs, and especially among
>IETF-ers who think seriously about the issue.
>
>However, K.C. raises the valid question, what does ICANN do if confronted with
>conflicting applications for the same name by registries operating along different
>models?
>
>I think that paying attention to precedent (FCFS) has both normative and practical
>value. Auctions are another method. KJC's proposal of a public benefit calculus is
>worth considering, too.
>
>But the real answer is that this is, fortunately, a problem we do not need to solve
>right now. Remember, we are just dealing with a testbed of 6-10 registries.

We are also setting precedents for the near- and mid-term future of the DNS.
It will become *harder,* not easier, to make these decisions as time goes on.

> In that
>initial phase ICANN can choose among applications based upon the criteria of what makes
>for a better experiment. It can also base its choices upon the principle of avoiding
>avoidable short-term problems.

It can also view the "testbed" as a dry run of its allocation policies.  (I enclose
"testbed" in inverted commas because I do not think of 6-10 registries as a small
enough rollout to constitute a true testbed.  Three registries (e.g., .nom, .per and
.mus) would be a true testbed; 6-10 feels more like a limited-scale deployment,
likely to have real economic significance.

>Long term, of course, it will have to deal with that issue more systematically. In
>dealing with it, we need to keep in mind that we are *not* dealing with a scarce name
>space. Individual strings are exclusive, of course, but the name space is not
>particularly constraining.

Kevin J. Connolly
The opinions expressed are those of the author, not of Robinson Silverman Pearce
Aronsohn & Berman LLP
This note is not legal advice.  If it were, it would come with an invoice.
As usual, please disregard the trailer which follows.
The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com