Re: [wg-c] Unofficial report on L.A. meeting

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 01:32:52PM -0500, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
[...]
> 	Kent also suggested that while many of us support a mix of non-profit and
> for-profit gTLDs (indeed, looking at the four most "popular" position
> papers, some form of mixed system gets support from most of the signers of
> position paper A, plus the signers of B, C, and D), he thought we could
> reach rough consensus that it would be safer to *start* with non-profit
> registries.  (Please stop me if I'm remembering this, or any other
> statement, incorrectly.)

Craig Simon made that point:  It is trivial to allow a non-profit
entity to become for-profit, if, after a period of time we decide
that would be desirable.  But it is very very difficult to force a
for-profit to become a non-profit, if we later decide that.  One
approach is easily undone, the other is not.

Kent