Re: [wg-c] .com vs. ccTLDs in Europe

At 04:51 PM 10/20/99 , you wrote:
 >I am working today on a matter where a French champagne producer's marks
 >show up in about 40 third party .com domain names.  It's marks have never
 >been pirated in the .fr domain.  There are other correlations with a TLD's
 >policies.

Hi Marty,

In 1994, a DNS policies and practices workshop was
hosted in Washington DC under the auspices of a
US Federal government agency.  Those attending advised
that COM, ORG, and NET domains should be substantially
free of restrictions, quickly and inexpensively available,
with no administrative review processes.  The objective
was to enhance the enterprise growth dynamic of the
Internet.  At that point, COM, ORG, and NET were regarded
as US domains.

Other NICs like FR took different approaches.

The tradeoffs were clearly different; however, in balance,
it would appear the findings of the Washington Workshop
proved rather successful and appropriate for the greatest
common good. No?