RE: [wg-c] position papers

On 12-Oct-99 Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>       It seems to me that the drafter of a position paper should
be
> able to
> solicit support for his paper from whomever he or she chooses;
> there are
> lots of intelligent and knowledgable people in the world who
> aren't members
> of this WG.  At the same time, if a drafter decides to attach the
> names of
> people who *aren't* members of the WG to his or her position
> paper, the
> paper should make that fact clear, so as to avoid any confusion
> about the
> nature of the support.

Provided they were marked as non-members of the workgroup (which
was by their own choice, since membership was open) it will address
my concern.

It isn't that they get a lot of support that bothers me, but that
it gives the wrong impression that the proposal had more support
within the workgroup than it actually did, which if they were
forwarded without such a distinction as the "submitted work" of the
workgroup, would make them appear.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934