Re: [wg-c] IMPORTANT MESSAGE RE: WG-C

At 04:26 PM 9/20/99 , A.M. Rutkowski wrote:
>At 10:58 AM 9/20/99 , Mark C. Langston wrote:
>>With all due respect Randy, I believe what the co-chair of the group is
>>saying is that:  We, as co-chairs, have declared there is consensus on
>>the issue.
>
>I'll support Randy here.  Consensus is collectively gauged by
>the magnitude and quantity of pushback and pushforward.

In spite of Tony's considerable experience with open rough consensus
processes (...) his assessment is quite incorrect.

Magnitude is irrelevant.  One person can create quite a loud noise, as we
have all seen.  If "quantity" refers to message load then it, too, is
irrelevant.

Rough consensus is a measure of strongly dominant agreement.  This does not
mean that everyone agrees but that those disagreeing are in the severe
minority.

Based on the WG-C discussion so far, yes there is a consensus agreement for
6-10 gTLDs to be added in an initial allocation.

>No one "declares" consensus - although that seems the ICANN

No one declares it?  If one attends IETF working group meetings, rather
than standing around in the halls chatting with passers-by, one will
discover that chairs "declare" consensus frequently.  The same applies to
serious participation in IETF working group mailing lists.

>style.  At IETF meetings, one can do it through drumming
>of feet.  Maybe we can send around feet_drumming.wav files

Of course, consensus is always difficult to reach when those who take
obstructionist positions are taken seriously.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>