Re: [wg-c] SV: Consensus and compromises...

> At 07:13 AM 9/14/99 , Milton Mueller wrote:
> >Just want to clarify that for many of us, support of the 6-10 gTLD
compromise
> >depends on there being 6-10 new registries authorized; i.e., one for each
> >gTLD.
>
> That is a contingency that was not stated by anyone, so the presumtion is
> that it is a contigency that you are adding for YOUR support.

I'm not sure if this contingency has been explicitly stated, however it is
certainly an important point to me. As a point of compromise, I would be
willing to fully support the 6-10 rollout as long as more than three
registries were included in the test-bed.

Reason being is that in order to gather useful data regarding the test, we
must have a reasonable sample from which to gather the data. Example: New
Registry Inc., a startup, is included as the only test bed registry and is
operating all 10 test gTLDs. The implementation takes roughly three months
and the performance of the system post-launch is dismal. Registrations are
being dropped, updates aren't being made to the zone files and chaos reigns.
What accurate conclusions can we draw from the test-bed after it's
completion?

Reasonably speaking, none.

-RWR