RE: [wg-c] Votebot sample ballot.

> Robert F. Connelly: Thursday, September 09, 1999 1:07 AM
>
> At 23:45 08-09-1999 -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> >This is
> >because we can ONLY answer the "how many" issue, with
> >consensus,  when
> >we all understand [and have agreed to] the "How to add TLDs" process
> >question. Without that answer the debate recurses back to the "if any
> >question".
> >
> >I have suggested a process that I think will work. More
> >importantly, it
> >is a sequence of steps that will get us there.

> >Strategy:
> >Handle one step at a time, in order:
> >Evidence of each step's completion is;
> >         1) a consensus position, based on a vote.
> >         2) Recommendation for modification of the next step
> (if any).
> >
> >Steps:
> >         1) Do we add any new Registry/gTLDs?
>
> Dear Roeland:
>
> I see what you mean.  First vote up or down, zero gTLDs or
> more that zero
> gTLDs.
>
> I'm not sure we need to have this many additional ballots.
> It takes one
> week to run a VoteBot.

We shouldn't feel such time-pressure becasue this is a complex and
highly-charged issue. Further, the answers to  2-5 are not trivial.

> The advantage of Dan's system (which Joop's may share) is
> that we can see  just who votes for what.

I see your point for an open vote and I agree with it. Joop's system can
handle that without the turn-around time of Dan's VoteBot. However, I
don't see that making much of a difference.

> I like it -- except for the long lead time.  But, let's
> dispose of this  first issue quickly, zero or more than zero.

Yes, I agree. However, I expect 3-5 to be rather complex. Let me list
what I expect the evidence of completion (EOC), for those steps, to be.
(SLA= Service Level Agreement)

> >         2) Where do we register the TLD registry (root registry)?
	EOC:
		1) Agreement that ICANN/DNSO will run a root registry.
		2) SLA for the ICANN/IANA/DNSO root-registry.
		3) Operational requirements.
		4) Basic process for adding new TLDs.

> >         3) Minimum services expected from a TLD Registry.
	EOC:
		1) Minimum SLA for a TLD registry.

> >         4) Minimum services expected from a gTLD.
	EOC:
		1) Minimum SLA for a gTLD registry.

> >         5) Minimum  business requirements for a Registry.
	EOC:
		1) Minimum stability requirements for the registry.
		2) Fall-back/reassignment plans for event of registry business
failure.

> >         6) How many registries?
> >         7) How many gTLDs per registry?

> >Also, there are NO  SHORTCUTS. That
> >is the very reason we are in this jam to begin with. Let us all
> >excersize some self-discipline and stick to the process, whatever
> >process we agree to.

As you can see, I expect most of the output, of 2-5, to be documents.
These are non-trivial documents. Once these documents are instantiated,
and ONLY after these documents are instantiated, do I expect reasonable
debate on items 6 and 7, without fear of deadlock.

Any attempt at short-cutting this process would be a waste of time,
IMHO.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, CEO
Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
http://www.mhsc.com/