RE: [wg-c] Votebot sample ballot.

At 23:45 08-09-1999 -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> > Dear Colleagues:  This is what a Votebot from Dan Busarow
> > would look like.
>
>Okay, I have no problem with the VoteBot.
>
> > The Issue is as stated below:
>
>This is the problem. You continue to couple the "if any" question to the
>"how many" question. You will never get a clear answer this way. This is
>because we can ONLY answer the "how many" issue, with consensus,  when
>we all understand [and have agreed to] the "How to add TLDs" process
>question. Without that answer the debate recurses back to the "if any
>question".
>
>I have suggested a process that I think will work. More importantly, it
>is a sequence of steps that will get us there.

>Strategy:
>Handle one step at a time, in order:
>Evidence of each step's completion is;
>         1) a consensus position, based on a vote.
>         2) Recommendation for modification of the next step (if any).
>
>Steps:
>         1) Do we add any new Registry/gTLDs?

Dear Roeland:

I see what you mean.  First vote up or down, zero gTLDs or more that zero
gTLDs.

I'm not sure we need to have this many additional ballots.  It takes one
week to run a VoteBot.

The advantage of Dan's system (which Joop's may share) is that we can see
just who votes for what.  Everyone will know.  If Bill Semich votes for
zero new gTLDs, most of us will conclude that he wants to protect his .nu
fiefdom.

If some other person votes for "grass roots root servers", we may want to
point out to all other list members that his/her motives are such and such.

I like it -- except for the long lead time.  But, let's dispose of this
first issue quickly, zero or more than zero.

Personal regards,
BobC

>         2) Where do we register the TLD registry (root registry)?
>         3) Minimum services expected from a TLD Registry.
>         4) Minimum services expected from a gTLD.
>         5) Minimum  business requirements for a Registry.
>         6) How many registries?
>         7) How many gTLDs per registry?
>
>I firmly believe that if we follow this sequence exactly we will arrive
>at some consensus on items 6 and 7 without as much pain as we are
>experiencing now. In order for this to occur, we must set up a VoteBot
>now. Whether we use Joop's polling place, or Busrow's VotBot doesn't
>matter to me, as long as we use one. Also, there are NO SHORTCUTS. That
>is the very reason we are in this jam to begin with. Let us all
>excersize some self-discipline and stick to the process, whatever
>process we agree to.
>
>Note: I expect items 3, 4, and 5 to be non-trivial.
>
>To rephrase your question set for this first round.
>
> > QUESTION: DO WE ADD NEW gTLDS?
> >
> > Option 0:       No new gTLDs should be delegated.
> >
> > Option 1:       Add unlimited TLDs
> >
> > Option 2:       Add new TLDs according to a process to be defined in
>the next phase.
> >
> > Option 3:       None of the above.
> >
> > Option 4:       Abstain.
>

>The point here is that no one is forced to make a "how many" commitment
>that they are not yet ready to make. However, it let's us enter the next
>step with a firm commitment that new TLDs will be added, if this passes.
>If it doesn't pass then all of us know where we stand and ICANN BoD has
>their answer.
>
>Of course, that won't stop the RSC's from moving forward, even if it
>does stop ICANN/NC.
>
>Personally, I think that the fact that we are all here, and the NC
>exists, all add up to the fact that we want to add TLDs. Otherwise, why
>have a NC, to tell NSI how to run their business? Yeah, right ...

>Roeland M.J. Meyer, CEO
>Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
>http://www.mhsc.com/
>mailto://rmeyer@mhsc.com
>         KISS, gotta love it!

"I've sawed this board off three times, and it's *still* too short".

Carpenter foreman.