Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on remaining questions

> > *NO* alternative RSC "worked with" IANA. *ALL* of them
> > decided to take the
> > IANA root zone as a starting point, and then add to their
> > hearts content.
>
> Wrong John, ALL of the RSC's started with the IANA root-zone. This was
> ipso facto concession to IANA. ORSC worked with Postel a lot,
> discussions never ceased, proposals were continuously drafted,
> negotiations were always open. That there is a huge communications
> break-down on the IANA side of the house does not mean that the RSCs
> weren't working with IANA, and now ICANN.

I speak Spanish. I speak it fluently as I am bilingual. I use what are
normal conventions of Spanish language as defined by the Spanish Language
Academy. The fact that I adhere to these conventions does not mean that I am
"working with" the SLA. Nor are aprox 300 million spanish speaking people
throughout the world "working with" the SLA either
Personally I understand "working with" as equal to "working together", in
other words that you have party A that discusses with party B, and they both
produce a result together, or even if one produces the result, it says that
it was achieved through agreement with the other, and the other confirms
this.

> Chris and I are both here. Do you call that "not working"?
> This characterization of yours is pure FUD. Although I will concede it
> to be innocent FUD, rather than malicious. You simply don't understand.

Both you and Chris are here and we're all working together. However, if
tomorrow you claim that IOD's ".web" or your root servers are a result of
working with ICANN then I'd cry foul very loudly.
NO alternative root server confederation EVER produced ANYTHING as a result
of working with IANA.

> BTW, I wouldn't dismiss Karl's point, about multi-rooted systems, so
> quickly. I consider that a serious option.

I have no problem with other non-ICANN/IANA roots. I have no problem with
root server confederations ruled by Karl by Eugene Kashpureff, or by all 98K
INEG members voting for them. Each of them can campaign heavily declaring
how fair they are, how great they are, and how wonderful it is to see the
Karl Way of Life wrt DNS.
Wake up, this is the internet. People have been doing their own thing for
quite a few years now. Private companies set up their own numbering schemes
all the time and use the internet as transport. Different people declare
their system to be the best all the time.
There has been for around 4 years now TRUE competition at the root server
level. The results are quite squashing towards the other root servers, but
its great that they continue there. It proves the validity (or lack of it)
of their concept or way of doing things precisely though the support that
they have garnered (or more precisely because of the support that they have
NOT mustered after all this time).
I'd actually be more worried if there were NO alternative RSCs as there
would be NO proof that the legacy roots were not just imposing their way of
being.
If any of the alternative RSCs had garnered support I'd probably be
wondering what is completely wrong about the ideas I have about how gTLDs
should be added.

Yours, John Broomfield.