Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

> (It's really fun to talk with a database expert about the registry work
and
> watch their disbelief that anyone would characterize the work as difficult
> or lage-scale...)

I'm sure it is. I'm sure that NSI could probably do the job for ten cents
per name if they put their mind to it. But neither you, nor I, nor anyone
short of government regulation is going to tell them what to charge
once the cooperative agreement is gone. If ICANN thinks that they
can mandate prices in their contract, they're wrong - thankfully, it would
appear that they don't think this. And ICANN has said, many times,
that it is not a regulatory body. Even the DoC has acknowledged that
its ability to regulate NSI's prices ends when the CO is gone.

So wring your hands as much as you like, it's just not going to
happen. This working group putting out some edict that it should
happen just makes it look silly. No, make that sillier.

We continue to waste time here. While I'd much rather see us
get something done, I'm content to sit around if you are.

Yawn.

Christopher