Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

> John Charles Broomfield wrote:
>
> > > Uh...no, it couldn't. NSI the registry can only charge you$9/year, and
> > > you are free to switch to any other registrar.
> >
> > It's the registry part that we're worried about. What stops the registry
> > from going from $9 to $109 ? REALISTICALLY.
>
> The registry part IS the $9. That's the part that is fixed.Realistically, it's
> called US Government regulation. I'm really amused
> by people like you with no background or understanding of regulatory issues
> spouting off about these things.

That $9 has NOT been decided by the US gov. It's a figure that NSI pulled
out of its hat. It's a figure that NSF/DoC/ICANN are NOT happy about. It's a
figure that is being discussed upon.
Its what I'm stating all the time. NSI is doing as it wishes, and forcing
the issues as far as it possibly can, which is exactly what their
shareholders would expect of them. The matter WILL end up in the courts.
Thank you for your criticism about my understanding of these issues. Just
for the record, what TLDs do you run?

> > Just saying "oh, they can't because of a contract" doesn't nearly give the
> > protection.
>
> Uhh... yes it certainly does. You clearly have no grasp of the situation.NSI's
> wholesale price is regulated and will remain regulated as long as
> a shared-registry scheme is in place. Furthermore, that form of protection
> is much more meaningful than anything ICANN can perform.

No. NSI is currently NOT regulated. There is a lot of arm flapping, but NSI
has the procedures, prices, dispute resolution, services, etc... that it
wants despite loud complaints all around. They (understandably) don't want
ANYONE regulating them. Logically, this situation shouldn't last.

> What stops ICANN from deciding that a non-profit registry it authorizes won't
> raise rates from $9 to $109? REALISTICALLY. Have you any familiarity with the
> behavior of the state-owned monopoly telephone and telegraph companies? You'd
> still be paying $1000/month for a 56k line if it were up to them.
>
> > There's a contract between NSI & the NSF for NSI to return
> > everything in a usable format after 5 years.
>
> Your understanding of the facts is wrong, but even if it weren't there'sno
> comparison between setting a specific price ($9) which can be easily
> verified, and negotiating the one-time transfer of some very complex
> forms of intellectual property.

Thank-you for informing me that I have the facts wrong. Thank-you for
informing us all that the USG has regulated that $9. Would you mind pointing
out which USG department and in which document told NSI that the registry
part would charge $9? Answer: it's NSI that decided that by itself.

> How does one return "everything" in the com zone file in a usable format?

Very easy, you have EVERYTHING you need in the whois database (up until
before the shared registry testbed, and from there on it's a bit of a mess).
That database is by definition already in a usable and transportable format.

(ad-hominems deleted).

Yours, John Broomfield.