Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

On 23 August 1999, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com> wrote:

>At 11:34 AM 8/23/99 , Mark C. Langston wrote:
>
>>On 23 August 1999, John Charles Broomfield <jbroom@manta.outremer.com> wrote:
>> >How would you deal with that? The answer is that you CAN'T realistically.
>>
>>People would deal with it in exactly the same way it's always been dealt
>>with when a large corporation changes physical addresses, or phone numbers,
>>or has their area code reallocated, or what-have-you:  They'll suck it up,
>>cope, and move on.  It's a huge headache, yes.  It's something you want
>>to avoid if at all possible, because it's expensive and time-consuming
>
>The question is not whether it is possible to deal with this but whether a
>registry is able (and therefore likely) to take advantage of the burden
>this would place on a registry's customer.  In other words, will a registry
>be inclined to give worse service and/or charge higher fees because it
>knows that its customer would incur considerable cost and disruption if it
>changed domain names?
>
>The answer, of course, is yes.  In particular, for-profit companies use
>whatever leverage they have over their customers.

But one could easily imagine policies that would prevent the registry
from implementing this kind fo gouging.

>>non-forwardable e-mail addresses on their *business* cards, they should
>>know better, and I have no sympathy for them.  Personal e-mail addresses
>
>One hopes that such a cavalier and simplistic attitude is not prevalent.

I note you cut of the important bit, which was that someone was using
their PERSONAL email address on their BUSINESS cards.

It's well known that there are a myraid of reasons for using business
e-mail addresses for business, and personal e-mail addresses for
personal e-mail.  There are both logistical and legal reasons for doing
so.  And I reiterate, if someone insists on using their personal e-mail
address for business purposes instead of the business e-mail address the
company provides, they are most likely violating their ISPs AUP, their
company's standards and practices, and most likely their legal department's
need for accountability and documentation.

So, tell me again, how is my lack of sympathy for the problems faced by
people who put their personal email addresses on their business cards
at all relevant to whether their personal ISP changes their domain name?

There's really only one relevant bit here, and that's this:  The business
e-mail address that the person should have put on their business card
wouldn't change.  That's just one of the many reasons why you should put
your business e-mail address on your business cards.

Having been the postmaster for a fairly large company, I could go on
about this for hours.  However, this isn't the place.  If you really,
really want to continue this particular bit of argumentation, let's
do it privately.  I think we've both made our points in this instance.

--
Mark C. Langston	LATEST: ICANN refuses	Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org  to consider application for       http://www.idno.org