Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

At 11:34 AM 8/23/99 , Mark C. Langston wrote:

>On 23 August 1999, John Charles Broomfield <jbroom@manta.outremer.com> wrote:
> >How would you deal with that? The answer is that you CAN'T realistically.
>
>People would deal with it in exactly the same way it's always been dealt
>with when a large corporation changes physical addresses, or phone numbers,
>or has their area code reallocated, or what-have-you:  They'll suck it up,
>cope, and move on.  It's a huge headache, yes.  It's something you want
>to avoid if at all possible, because it's expensive and time-consuming

The question is not whether it is possible to deal with this but whether a
registry is able (and therefore likely) to take advantage of the burden
this would place on a registry's customer.  In other words, will a registry
be inclined to give worse service and/or charge higher fees because it
knows that its customer would incur considerable cost and disruption if it
changed domain names?

The answer, of course, is yes.  In particular, for-profit companies use
whatever leverage they have over their customers.

>non-forwardable e-mail addresses on their *business* cards, they should
>know better, and I have no sympathy for them.  Personal e-mail addresses

One hopes that such a cavalier and simplistic attitude is not prevalent.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>