Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

(...)
> I note you cut of the important bit, which was that someone was using
> their PERSONAL email address on their BUSINESS cards.
>
> It's well known that there are a myraid of reasons for using business
> e-mail addresses for business, and personal e-mail addresses for
> personal e-mail.  There are both logistical and legal reasons for doing
> so.  And I reiterate, if someone insists on using their personal e-mail
> address for business purposes instead of the business e-mail address the
> company provides, they are most likely violating their ISPs AUP, their
> company's standards and practices, and most likely their legal department's
> need for accountability and documentation.
(...)

Are you trying to say that business email addresses are only so if they are
"name@company.com" where "company" is your business? Have you no idea how
many companies out there have BUSINESS addresses under aol, prodigy,
compuserve, whatever-ISP ... domain names without having their own domain
name? Most people on this list know that it is not that difficult to get a
domain name, but most people (entities) out there don't. Plus of course, if
we're talking about a major balk from a certain TLD, then you could expect
that many companies under that TLD will also be put in a situation where
they'd have to leave, so the agregate problem is rather large. Redirections
don't cut it, because if you're leaving your TLD it may well be because you
have an unreasonable ultimatum in front of you, so don't expect any help
from the maintainer of your ex-TLD.

> So, tell me again, how is my lack of sympathy for the problems faced by
> people who put their personal email addresses on their business cards
> at all relevant to whether their personal ISP changes their domain name?
>
> There's really only one relevant bit here, and that's this:  The business
> e-mail address that the person should have put on their business card
> wouldn't change.  That's just one of the many reasons why you should put
> your business e-mail address on your business cards.

Oh, but it would. Note that we're talking about major problems with a
maintainer of a TLD. For AOL.COM to decide to pick up and go, you will have
had a LOT of smaller (less damage) companies that have gone before them...
AOL would *never* be the first to go, rather one of the later...

Yours, John Broomfield.