Re: [wg-c] A branded TLD would be .nsi

	I've not gotten involved in this debate b/c I think the point is
tangential, but . . .

	As Kevin pointed out a while ago, there are serious obstacles in the way
of a TLD becoming a service mark for domain name registration services (or
registry maintenance services).  Here's why: A trademark (or a service
mark), under U.S. law, is a source identifier.  That's what it's for.  If a
string isn't operating as a source identifier, then it's not operating as a
trademark.  Generic words (like "chair," when applied to chairs) can't be
trademarks because they can't be source identifiers; the ordinary person
understands them to refer to the whole class of goods, not to goods
emanating from a particular source.  (Of course, "chair" can be a perfectly
good trademark when applied to gumdrops, say, but that's another story.)

	Let's say I start the TLD .www.  Can I claim that string as my service
mark?  The problem, it seems to me, is that the string is a generic
descriptor of "registry services in the .www TLD."  Because only one entity
can provide that service, the consumer doesn't need a source identifier.
Nor does the string work as a service mark for registrar services.  If
there is only one registrar, we have the same problem as above, and if
there are many, then the string doesn't identify any one of them in
particular.

	Now, it's true if consumers believe that I am the provider of
registry/registrar services for .www, but ICANN gave the .www franchise to
somebody else, ordinary consumers might be confused by seeing the .www
string out there.  I could bring a trademark lawsuit, under U.S. law,
seeking an order that would end that confusion.  The real question is
whether the court would respond by forbidding the new folks to offer
services connected with the TLD at all, or whether it would figure that it
could avoid any confusion simply by ordering them to prominently display
the words "NOT AFFILIATED WITH JON WEINBERG" on their web site.  *That* one
is highly dependent on the facts.  We get the same problem if Joe Blow
starts the .ibm TLD; people might be confused, thinking that Joe's registry
services were somehow emanating from, or sponsored by, IBM.  IBM, again, is
entitled to an appropriate remedy to avoid confusion.

Jon

Jon Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com