[wg-c] Reversible experiments

At 05:45 PM 8/22/99 , John Charles Broomfield wrote:
>Actually, I'm willing to go along with this argument, and there's an easy
>way to test it. Tender the running of a gTLD with a limited (1-5 years? 3
>maybe?) term. As Roeland is probably correct, there won't be ANY takers at
>any price, which will just prove his point. After that, the tender just gets
>modified for an ad-infinitum period as he proposes.
>He probably won't accept this because he'll come up with some other argument
>instead... How about if the FIRST gTLD is tendered in this way? If that one
>gets takers, then it's proven that it is a viable proposition, isn't it?
>Seeing that there are only disadvantages to the general public (and only
>advantages to the particular company granted the un-limited time for the
>gTLD) to give out gTLDs forever, if it is proven that re-bid has takers, I'd
>say go for it...

As a meta-point I'd like to note that a number of the unresolvable debates
-- that is, those that require making a choice between them rather than
somehow "integrating" them -- sometimes do permit trying one of the
alternatives, without precluding falling back to the other.

Herr Broomfield has noted a very strong such example.  There are others and
we should look for them carefully.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>