From: bill@mail.nic.nu [mailto:bill@mail.nic.nu]
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 1999 10:51 AM
To: wg-c@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes
on

>On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 04:35:49PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>[...]
>> Surely everyone understands that the biggest problem
>> a new gTLD will face is marketing.

At 08:14 PM 8/21/99 -0700, Kent Crispin responded:
>Such a statement is simply not consistent with the many claims of
>there being tremendous demand for new gTLDs.  If it is true that
>there is tremendous pent up demand for gTLDs, then marketing is not a
>big issue -- certainly not the "biggest" problem a new gTLD will
>face.

Such a statement is quite consistent with *reality*, however - as shown in
practice. Their is clearly a pent up demand for more .COM domain names -
other gTLDs will need major branding and awareness campaigns - probably
their biggest problem if they plan to invest large amounts of dollars to
get started.

Experience both with the "presales" of the CORE names, and with actual
registrations of .NU (after modest marketing efforts), are clear evidence.
Everyone (in the US for sure) wants a ".com" domain name. Other TLDs will
confuse them for a while.

Regards,

Bill Semich
.NU Domain