Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on

Paul Garrin wrote:

> I would agree with option 1 if the "few" new gTLDs added were operated
> by more than one registry, representing all models.

Yes! The reason I reject Option 1 under any circumstances isthat it seems to
preclude registry competition.
Competition in the registry business is much more important
an objective than new TLDs per se, and a form of competition
that permits varying models is the most important.

> With this in mind, I propose that if such a recommendation as option 1
> is agreed to, then it be modified to state that a reasonable number of
> new gTLDs should be added to the ROOT from each of the presently
> operational registries (there are several), representing different
> economic and business models across the board.

I think this may be the middle ground we're looking for.

If we can forward to the Names Council a recommendation that
says, "immediately authorize enough new TLDs to allow
a significant number of new registries to enter the market
and compete," I will be satisfied.