Re: [wg-c] straw vote -- question one results & call for votes on

On 19 August 1999, Paul Garrin <pg@name-space.com> wrote:

>With this in mind, I propose that if such a recommendation as option 1
>is agreed to, then it be modified to state that a reasonable number of
>new gTLDs should be added to the ROOT from each of the presently
>operational registries (there are several), representing different
>economic and business models across the board.  Preference should
>be given to TLDs that are "populated" without respect to the number.
>("populated" means TLDs which have clients holding active SLDs).
>Option 1 should also not exclude the recognition of additional TLDs,
>nor unreasonably delay the introduction of them.

I'm confused by this.  Are you suggesting that the registrars who
have presold SLDs in TLDs not yet in the root be given preferential
treatment?

If so, why?  Why should registrars who've been stringing people along
by taking their money and telling them, "we'll be in the root any
day now" be considered above other registrars?

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org