Re: [wg-c] Straw Vote

> Sorry, it's still a bit unresolved.
>
> Does ICANN say, "we are adding 10 gTLDs. We don't know whether it
> will work or not. Some of us like the idea of adding 500 more, but who knows?
> Ask us in a year whether we'll add more."  (This is option 1)
>
> OR...
>
> Does ICANN say, "we are announcing a plan to add 200 new TLDs over 3 years.
> Year 1 we add 10, year 2 we add 50, year 3 we add 140. If problems develop
> we will stop or interrupt this process."  (This is Option 2.)
>
> Your statement below could be read either way.

I'm sorry. I'm too thick. I really can't see the difference.
If we're adding 10 gTLDs, it's because we don't know if it will work or not
or what the problems are. Otherwise we'd add 500 in one go.
The idea is basically, start slow, build up speed. To build up speed, you
obviously need to iron out the problems that appear at the start. Deciding
to say "no matter what, it's going to be 10 now, 50 next week and 500 next
month" is unfortunately rather dangerous. Something along the lines of "10
now, and if things go according to plan, 50 next week, if they continue to
look good, then 500 next month".

So if you want it really resumed:

Start slow, build up speed.

I still say that options 1&2 are not exclusive.

Yours, John.