Re: [wg-c] Straw Vote

Sorry, it's still a bit unresolved.

Does ICANN say, "we are adding 10 gTLDs. We don't know whether it
will work or not. Some of us like the idea of adding 500 more, but who knows?
Ask us in a year whether we'll add more."  (This is option 1)

OR...

Does ICANN say, "we are announcing a plan to add 200 new TLDs over 3 years.
Year 1 we add 10, year 2 we add 50, year 3 we add 140. If problems develop
we will stop or interrupt this process."  (This is Option 2.)

Your statement below could be read either way.

John Charles Broomfield wrote:

> If the question is "How many gTLDs and how fast", my position would be
> something between 200 and 2000.

this indicates that you'd like an Option 2-like statement to be made

> So, add a few to start with (1-10 maybe?), see how that works,

This sounds more like Option 1. "See how that works" sounds like thereis no
commitment to proceed with the other 199 - 1999.

> and then come
> up to speed. Maybe a second addition of 50-100, then a whole bunch, and then
> probably stop right there. All over the course of maybe 3 years or so.

This sounds more like Option 2 again. A planned rollout, subject tosome
restraint if things go wrong.

> Hope I'm clearer now.

Well......

I may seem to be nitpicking, but in any real plan to add gTLDs,
you can't just say, "maybe there will be a second addition."
Given the political and economic pressures that will always exist
to have no additions, a "maybe" plan must contemplate the
possibility that there will be no additions after the first ones,
especially if adding more involves another wg process such
as this one.