Re[2]: [wg-c] Retraction of previous proposal, re, revisted

Friday, August 13, 1999, 6:46:02 AM, Robert F. Connelly <rconnell@psi-japan.com> wrote:

> At 04:43 13-08-99 -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>>Yes and yes, but not the way you stated. I don't think I need to
>>explain, to an IP attorney, that a trademark can be any qualifying
>>string and that if that string is also used, intentionally, by the
>>trademark holder, as a TLD, that they own/operate/license, then that TLD
>>becomes pretty well protected. I think we have enough case-law that such
>>a statement would hold an argument, maybe even an actual case?

> Dear Roeland:  Certainly you are correct.  The issue which was been debated
> was whether USPTO had issued a trademark for a domain name, specifically
> for a TLD such as ".web".  Or would they in the near future.  I believe it
> is correct that they have not and would not likely do so in the near future.

I do not believe you are correct here, Bob.  As a matter of fact, CORE
has applied for trademarks on the TLDs they want to lay claim to as
well.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org